Track Menu



  You Can't Play Here Fair or Not!     

Playfair Race Course Playfair Race Course was opened in 1901 and was the fourth oldest racetrack in the United States until it was closed after the 2000 meet. Playfair did not survive the moral purge against gambling, horse racing was banned from 1909 to 1933. Playfair Race Course reopened in 1935. Originally the track was a half mile, but in 1946 it was expanded to five eights. Lights were also installed and the first night races were held here in 1970.

 Playfair was located in eastern Washington and shared dates with Longacres and Yakima Meadows race tracks. It ran low priced claiming races with some stakes races. One of those stakes was named the Rocking Chair which was a race for eight years old and up.

 The grandstand has been demolished and only a faint outline of the track itself remains. The original grandstand was a wooden open air building. Over the years a glass enclosed clubhouse and lounge area were added to the facility. By the time it closed, it looks like it could accommodate a little over 5,000 visitors. The grandstand held 4,000, clubhouse 400, turf club 600 and paddock lounge 350.