Track Menu


Fonner ParkGreenwood Logo

Back in 1875, Canada's oldest track was built on the shores of Lake Ontario and was known as Woodbine. Shortly after it was completed it burnt to the ground. It was soon rebuilt and ran as Woodbine till 1956, when it became Old Woodbine, as a new Woodbine  was opened in nearby Etobicoke. It wasn't until 1963 that the track got a major overhaul and was renamed Greenwood.

Greenwood, was a premier site for both standardbred and thoroughbred racing. As a harness track it was part of the Golden Horseshoe Circuit, with Mohawk and Garden City raceways and on the runner side it combined with Woodbine and Fort Erie to make up the Toronto flat season. The main track was a five eights mile oval, with a glass enclosed grandstand, that seated 10,500 in the grandstand and 3,500 in the clubhouse. The stables could house 720 horses.

The track closed in 1994 and it's premier race The Queens Plate, part of the Canadian Triple Crown was moved to the new Woodbine, after starting out at the Old Woodbine in 1883. Called The Downtown Track It was the only racecourse located within the Toronto city limits.